Spanish Dual Language Programm
Robbinsdale Area Schools has been a pioneer in offering dual language immersion learning opportunities to students for more than 30 years. Our district was the second district in Minnesota to offer the opportunity for students to be immersed in a second language. Since welcoming our first immersion kindergarten class in 1986, Robbinsdale Area Schools has remained a leader in language immersion education, offering comprehensive program to support students' academic and language development from Kindergarten through 12th Grade. In our programs, students learn the same rigorous Robbinsdale Area Schools curriculum while gaining advanced levels of proficiency in both Spanish and English.
- Become bilingual and biliterate, developing high levels of proficiency in two languages.
- Perform at or above grade level in academic areas in both languages.
- Demonstrate positive cross-cultural attitudes and behaviors.
Spanish Dual Language Program
Our Two-Way Spanish Dual-Language Program is open to students at Northport Elementary. In this program, students from different language backgrounds learn together while instruction is systematically delivered in two languages. Students read, write, listen and speak in both languages becoming bilingual, biliterate and bicultural while working toward grade level academic achievement. Dual language offers an opportunity for students to add another language while at the optimal age for language learning.
- Families complete a program preference form and will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis
- Classrooms balanced between native speakers of English and native Speakers of Spanish
- students support each other as both models and learners of language
- Two Spanish Dual Language classrooms per grade level (Kindergarten 2019-2020 school year; Kindergarten and 1st grade 2020-2021 school year; additional grades will be added each school year with a full K-5th grade program by the 20204-2025 school year)
- Transportation provided to students who reside within the Northport attendance area
Students who join the program will see incredible benefits throughout their life. Knowing two languages allows for greater success in university language classes and employment opportunities. Additionally, language skills open the door to other countries, cultures and people.
- What if my student does not speak English or Spanish?
- How is the effectiveness of the program monitored?
- How do you honor and develop the other languages spoken by students?
- How can I help my student with their homework if I don't speak the language or understand the assignment?
- My English-speaking student is in 2nd grade and still isn't speaking any Spanish. Is the program working?
- My 5th Grade student has been in the program and is already bilingual in Spanish and English. Should they stay in the program?
- How do students in dual language programs compare academically to students in other types of educational programs?